Sunday, March 23, 2008

yeaster

today Kelly & I went through our cabinets, cupboards and crisper drawers with an ostrich feather and a wooden spoon, clearing out all things sweetened. to give a little background, over the last year of too much hog knuckles and milk gravy I’ve gained at least 20 lbs.

to be more specific, my legs are making corduroy noises when I walk and, more and more, I feel my undershirt tuck and pleat between new skin folds. this is a problem. so tonight we say goodbye to sugar for a month, the final extravagance being some fancy little xocolates from this shop that will be closed and gone by the time we’re eating sugar again. I’ll leave out all the details of exactly what’s in and what’s out. it's not real scientific or even all that well thought out. but, like a wise guy said a few years back, "you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want." junkies can't be choosers.

thanks TR for demonstrating such fortitude and, um, stick-to-itiveness. we’re following your lead on this. solidarity forever, right?

1 comment:

T.R. said...

You've embarked on a difficult journey my friend. A path that is steep and slippery from all of the grease that will replace the sugar you were eating.
But I have noticed what has so far been a permanent change, which is this: Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it. I have totally bought into that great American Past-time: throwing away perfectly good food because I can afford to. But I have forsaken another: Seeking after free food.