Wednesday, March 19, 2008

the opulence of the absolute

“O Krsna, I totally accept as truth all that You have told me. Neither the gods nor demons, O Lord, know Thy personality….

The Blessed Lord said: Yes, I shall tell you of My splendorous manifestations, but only of those which are prominent, O Arjuna, for My opulence is limitless.

I am the Self, O conqueror of sleep, seated in the hearts of all creatures. I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings.

Of the Ādityas I am Visnu, of the lights I am the radiant sun, I am Marīci of the Maruts, and among the stars I am the moon….

Of the great sages I am Bhrgu; of vibrations I am the transcendental om. Of sacrifices I am the chanting of holy names [japa], and of immovable things I am the Himalayas.

Of the trees I am the holy fig tree…Of horses know Me to be Uccaihsravā, who rose out of the ocean, born of the elixir of immortality; of lordly elephants I am Airāvata, and among men I am the monarch.

Of weapons I am the thunderbolt; among cows I am the Surabhi, givers of abundant milk. Of procreators I am Kandarpa, the god of love, and of serpents I am Vāsuki, the chief.

Of the celestial Nāga snakes I am Ananta; of the aquatic deities I am Varuna. Of departed ancestors I am Aryamā, and among the dispensers of law I am Yama, lord of death.

Among the Daitya demons I am the devoted Prahlāda, among subduers I am time, among the beasts I am the lion, and among birds I am Garuda, the feathered carrier of Visnu.

Of purifiers I am the wind, of the wielders of weapons I am Rāma, of fishes I am the shark, and of flowing rivers I am the Ganges.

Of all creations I am the beginning and the end, and also the middle, O Arjuna…and among logicians I am the conclusive truth.

Of letters I am the A, and among compounds I am the dual word. I am also inexhaustible time, and of creators I am Brahmā, whose manifold faces turn everywhere.

I am all-devouring death, and I am the generator of all things yet to be. Among women I am fame, fortune, speech, memory, intelligence, faithfulness and patience.”
Bhagavad Gita

No comments: